Let's start with the recipe.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups self rising flour (or 2 cups regular flour plus 1 tsp. baking soda)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Butter for frying
- Mix together salt, flour, oil, and water. (Sunglasses are optional!)
- Knead and shape into several small rounds of dough.
- Press or use a rolling pin to form flat discs.
- Fry in butter on medium heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with butter, honey, sour cream, jelly, cheese, or sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Motor Skills Involved: Mixing, Pouring, Measuring, Rolling, Kneading
Sensory Experiences: Smelling, Feeling, Tasting, Seeing, Hearing
Related Concepts/Developmental Areas:
Science: melting butter, browning bread, addition of water to dough.
Language: discussion of American Indian heritage.
Social Skills: learning safe cooking procedures.